Three Mexican restaurants at The World’s 50 BestBy Fernanda Duque Hernández
The world recognize Mexican cuisine.
Mexico’s gastronomy was once again recognized and included within The World’s 50 Best Restaurants. Pujol, Quintonil and Biko are officially considered as some of the best restaurants in the world, being featured within the listing on the 16th, 35th and 37th position.
The news was announced on June 1st, in London England. The jury that voted for this year’s election –made up of experts in the field-, agreed that Mexico’s a nation whose gastronomy is simply excellent.
Quintolli, run by Chef Jorge Vallejo, managed to position itself on the 35th spot… This is a restaurant that was categorized by the jury as a “rising star, who has built its reputation based on the use of fruits, forgotten herbs and ingredients”. Its flagship dish is the traditional huauzontle, a Mexican vegetable that is prepared in a very similar way to spinach or broccoli.
On the other hand, after a year of absence, Biko returns to the listing on the 37th place. The restaurant -owned by the chefs Mikel Alonso, Bruno Oteiza and Gerard Bellver-, stands to provide minimalist portions that include colorful cubist geometry, which also blends Basque and Mexican ingredients… A complete feast for the senses and an exquisite journey!
The third awarded restaurant was Pujol, owned by one the most renowned Mexican Chefs, Enrique Olvera. Pujol offers a sophisticated menu made of dishes that perfectly mix modern and ancient techniques of Mexican cuisine. This restaurant in fact managed to climb up 4 positions on the list, and reached the 16th place, of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants (previously –in 2014-, taking the 20th spot).
The event had the presence of Mexican authorities, such as the Minister of Tourism, Claudia Ruiz Massieu; the Ambassador of Mexico in the United Kingdom, Diego Gomez-Pickering; ProMexico’s CEO, Francisco Gonzalez; the CEO of Marca País, Pedro Cota, the general director of Mexico’s Tourism Board, Rodolfo Lopez Negrete and Charles Reed, managing director of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy.
- Mexico City, Thirsty and Sinking, Faces a Water Crisis
- Facebook's nightmare is about to get a lot worse
- Walmart opens its first 'Amazon style'store in Mexico
- Cancun 'spring breakers' welcomed with code of conduct
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica