Teotihuacan: News from the underworld
Underground tunnel discovered under Teotihuacan
The city of the gods, Teotihuacan, is revealing its secrets; the most recent of these is a tunnel with more than 100 meters long in which researchers have found important pieces related to the world view of the prehispanic underworld.
The position of this tunnel reveals a lot, it’s located under the Temple of the Feathered Serpent that was the insignia of the power at that time. Because of its structure and importance the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) appealed to the technical experience of The National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) and The National Polytechnic Institute (IPN) to explore the tunnel.
Both institutions developed the device Tlaloc II-TC, a robot that has taken to the light a lot of the secrets behind the pyramid. It found three underground rooms where archeologists hope to find the remains of Teotihuacan ancient kings.
So far the tunnel has discovered important archaeological pieces whose historical and economic value is priceless, we are talking about 5,000 objects from different parts of Mesoamerica, prove of the great power that this civilization had over other towns in the past.
The offering was made up of four sculptures of green stone of 65 cm, and large numbers of shells from the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. On site were also found jewelry, seeds, rubber balls and even fragments of human skin and hair, which will be subject to DNA studies.
Researchers believe that these objects were placed here by the ancient Teotihuacan approximately 1,800 years ago. To access this new discovery, archeologist had to remove 970 tons of stone and earth blocking the entrance.
After years of digging, the team finally has achieved the three cameras and specialists have estimated that the exploration carried out by archaeologists will proceed by the end of 2015 due to humidity levels.
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation
- US Weather Disasters Cost Record $306 Bn. Dollars in 2017
- CES 2018: "E-Sports will be the most watched and played sport in the next decade"