UNAM specialists at work with WikipediaBy Enrique Huerta
Academics and students of the UNAM participated during the second edition of the Editatón WikiUNAM
With 139 new articles, translations to English and Catalan, 526 editions and multiple corrections, over 250 academics and students from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, UNAM, contributed to enrich the bank of information of this famous consultation site.
With this second edition of the “Editatón WikiUNAM”, an editing marathon, the most renowned university in the country contributes with precision and scientific rigor to the contents of every field of knowledge in Wikipedia.
Besides the edition and creation of new content, UNAM provided video and photographic material to illustrate the articles.
Francisco Cervantes Pérez, titular of the Open University and E-learning Coordination, said he expects that the Editatón WikiUNAM will be like the starting flag for a permanent cooperation between UNAM and Wikipedia, the largest digital encyclopedia of the world.
But this wasn’t the first time they collaborated. Back in 2011, the Wikimedia Foundation approached the faculties of the UNAM, specifically the School of Philosophy and Literature. In 2015 its relation had been formalized and the first edition of the Editatón WikiUNAM was born.
According to the portal itself, Wikipedia “is a multilingual, web-based, free-content encyclopedia project supported by the Wikimedia Foundation and based on a model of openly editable content.”
It was created in 2001 by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger and in 15 years it has become the most popular consultation website for a number of areas.
As of now, Wikipedia has an array of 37 million articles in 287 languages and in mexico alone, it receives 500 million consultations per year which makes it the largest digital encyclopedia ever and one of the top ten most visited websites in the world.
- Spain and Mexico’s Trade Relations Curdle over Manchego Dispute
- Cape Town Water crisis: 'Day Zero' Draws Near
- MORGAN STANLEY: Here are the 6 internet stocks to bet on in 2018
- Ford announces $11B investment, 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 at Detroit Motor Show
- Automobile Revenues will fall 40% due to Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Mexico debuts its best startups for 2018 at CES
- Inside the Secret Society Running the World of Cryptocurrency
- Opinion: Who Will Profit Off the Next Crash?
- This is how Jeff Bezos will support the 'dreamers'
- Oil Reaches $70 a Barrel for First Time in Three Years
- Peso predicted to make comeback in 2018: Bloomberg
- Chihuahua´s governor denounces Government reprisals for PRI corruption investigation