Lord Mayor Alan Yarrow conferred Order of the Aztec Eagle
** Adapted from Communiqué issued by Mexico’s Secretariat of Foreign Affairs **
Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Jose Antonio Meade Kuribreña, conferred the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle in degree of Plaque, to The Lord Mayor of London, Alan Yarrow.
The distinction was presented during a working visit in Mexico, scheduled to take place from July 19th to July 22th, aimed at strengthening bilateral relations between Mexico and the United Kingdom, particularly focusing on each country’s financial and commercial sectors.
During the ceremony, the Mexican Foreign Secretary highlighted the interest both countries share in boosting trade, including small and medium industries in both British and Mexican markets, as well as increasing investment in the following years.
The Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle is the highest recognition granted by the Mexican government to foreign citizens for their contributions to the development of knowledge and for service to Mexico. One of the most notable recipients of this distinction is HRM Queen Elizabeth II, who received it in degree of Collar in 1973.
During the meeting, Meade and Yarrow discussed the political and economic situation in the UK in light of the general elections which took place in May.
2015 is being celebrated as the Dual Year of Mexico in the UK and the UK in Mexico. It is an initiative aimed at promoting greater cooperation between the two countries through numerous cultural, artistic, educational, touristic, economic activities.
Both officials acknowledged the progress made in trade and investment through economic development initiatives such as the High Level Economic Group (established in the framework of Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto’s State Visit to the United Kingdom); the UK-Mexico Trade Task Force; and the Seventh edition of the High Level Economic Talks held in London on July 9th and 10th.
Secretary Meade recalled the goal of doubling bilateral trade to USD $7 billion (£ 4.2 billion) and increase to 500,000 the number of British tourists traveling to Mexico in 2015.
During the State Visit to the United Kingdom in March 2015, President Peña Nieto also met with Mr. Yarrow. Notably, the last four Lord Mayors of the City of London have visited Mexico.
In economic terms, the UK is the sixth largest trading partner and the fourth largest investor of Mexico among the countries of the European Union. UK investment in Mexico, between 1999 and 2014, increased by more than USD $9.3 billion, mainly in the finance and insurance sector as well as in the mining and manufacturing sector.
- Mexico City, Thirsty and Sinking, Faces a Water Crisis
- Facebook's nightmare is about to get a lot worse
- Walmart opens its first 'Amazon style'store in Mexico
- Cancun 'spring breakers' welcomed with code of conduct
- “Sudan” the world’s last male white rhino dies in Africa
- Facebook tracks a scary number of details about you
- Cambridge Analytica suspends CEO amid uproar over Facebook data leak
- “Yucatan’s good public safety is attracting foreign direct investment”
- By 2021, at least 40% of Latin America's GDP will be digitized: IDC
- China’s ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing is planning to hit Uber where it hurts
- Migrations will increase by 2050 due to climate change: Central Bank
- Warrant Sought to Inspect Cambridge Analytica