Merida, Yucatan fast becoming an industrial powerhouseBy Elliot Bullman
For the first time since ever, the state of Yucatan could exceed one billion dollars of foreign direct investment in a six-year term. The current governor, Rolando Zapata Bello, will conclude his term in 2018.
In terms of industrial growth, the state boasts wide diversity of industrial sectors. Brewer AB InBev, owner of the Budweiser and Corona brands, recently announced that it would build a new plant in Yucatan.
Meanwhile German firm Leoni makes wiring systems for Mercedes Benz and Tesla cars, while nearby the producer of pork Kekén already is building a plant. On top of these add Walmart de México that will install its regional distribution centre that will cost 650 million pesos and promises 500 direct jobs.
Then there are local businesses. Emilio Loret de Mola launched the gas station chain La Gas, which aims to reach the centre of the country, and Bepensa, owner of a Coca Cola bottler, issued 600 million pesos in bonds in June to finance Finbe, a business which provides credit for, among other things, car purchases.
In Merida, a string of hotels have been built next to the new International Congress Centre that cost the state some 1.3 billion pesos.
Soon, wind turbines will supply the region with electricity and there is talk about the possible arrival of a regasification plant, which, if implemented, would change the dynamics of the country by bringing natural gas to this region.
Yucatan state is being heralded as the next Queretaro and the future looks very bright indeed.
- Trump backs down and signs executive order to 'keep families together'
- Despite uncertainty about the election, Mexico continues to attract investments
- On Saturday, repaving works start in Cancun’s hotel zone
- Mexican entrepreneurship project receives award in France
- Mexico's foreign minister and business leaders express outrage over ‘inhumane’ US immigration policy
- The Dow Jones industrial average turned negative as global trade war fears mount
- Canada legalizes recreational cannabis use
- EU to retaliate against US with counter-tariffs on Friday
- Mexican national team football shirt is best seller in the United States
- Scorpion catching is a dangerous trade that allows Durango’s locals to survive.
- Rafael Márquez , is only the third player in history to achieve the feat of playing in 5 world cups
- It’s not just in football that Mexico is superior to Germany