Merida and its surroundings: Not your average vacation destinationBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
Nonstop variety of activities
The “White City” or Merida and its surroundings offer a magnificent array of activities for its visitors to enjoy; from natural scenarios to ancient vestiges. This area in the Yucatan Peninsula is filled with attractive features that make them not your average vacation destination.
For starters the capital city of Yucatan, Merida has a well-preserved colonial charm that attracts those who seek for a tranquil escape. It has a gorgeous antique architectural style; the Historic Center features the oldest cathedral on the continent, The San Ildefonso Cathedral. Another attractive feature is the elegant tree-lined Paseo de Montejo, the City’s main avenue where most of the 19th century mansions are.
Very close to the city are some of the most beautiful and restored haciendas, this are large estates that hold interesting history from the area, as they were usually important one way or another back in the day. There’s Hacienda Temozon, which is located on an old agave plantation; Hacienda Sac Chich, a beautifully remodeled estate that is a perfect venue for a wedding or elegant party; and Hacienda Teya, which has a delicious restaurant where to indulge in local cuisine.
Merida and its surroundings are full of historical value, and some of it goes way back to pre-Hispanic times, these are the archeological vestiges. Old Maya cities and remains hold ancient mysteries that can be explored, just as in the world-known Chichen Itza, and Uxmal. In both sites one can connect with the Maya civilization and take the majestic beauty of their heritage.
For a more natural connection, the perfect choice are the cenotes –natural deep water formations- which are abundant in the area, these where considered by the Maya civilization as doors to another world. Besides there is also Celestun, and Ria Lagartos, both beautiful natural scenarios with lots of flora and fauna to be enjoyed.
These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to activities and features of Merida and its surroundings. It’s a magnificent place to explore and enjoy a different type of vacations in the south of Mexico.
- If you missed out on Russia 2018, find out how much money you will need to go to Qatar 2022
- Turkish Airlines plans to launch flights to Mexico in 2019
- Cancún y Riviera Maya, amongst the best 10 destinations in the world
- Live Vacation Interview
- Hoteliers want federal regulation for Airbnb and HomeAway
- Mexico, the 8th most visited country of the world
- San Miguel de Allende is the best city in the world
- Going to Europe? Don´t forget to recover your taxes
- Mexico overtakes Turkey in global tourism poll
- Mexican handicrafts, a trigger for cultural tourism
- Mexico amongst TripAdvisor’s Best Beaches in the World
- Mexico´s tourism industry increasingly depends on US travellers