Mexicali: The city that captured the sunBy Daniel Juárez
Meet the border city of Mexico!
Are you ready to embark on a trip where you’ll have a vast array of activities to do like adventurous landscaping, visit historical sites, eat culinary delicacies, go shopping and more? Prepare to enjoy Mexicali, the city that captured the sun!
Original Image: still taken from: “Video Promocional Mexicali Turismo (English)” byMexicaliTurismo, source: YouTube.
Mexicali is the capital city of the state of Baja California, Mexico. Founded in 1903, its name comes from the combination of the words “Mexico” and “California”. It’s the northernmost city of Mexico and Latin America.
It certainly is a city worthy of its surname, during summer it can reach extremely hot temperatures, plus it almost never rains, nevertheless, you can get beautiful photos of the desert and its surroundings and it’s also one of the best spots for sandboarding.
Tourism consists of several things, downtown focuses mainly on restaurants, taco stands, bars and nightclubs, most of them visited by U.S citizens. Many stores, artisan shops and souvenirs can be found right next to the border.
If you’re more into the cultural side of the city, don’t hesitate to visit the Museo Universitario, a museum that shows the history and culture of the first Baja California settlers; or the Museo Sol del Niño (roughly translates to Child’s Sun Museum) and the Sala Imax (Imax theater), both form an interactive center for science, technology, art and the environment.
On the other hand, you can explore the “Alternative Energies Theme Park”, which is an educational space where visitors can learn about solar energy.
To those who want to be in touch with nature, in Mexicali you can to visit the “Woods and Zoo of the city”, which has ample green areas with a playground for kids, a botanic museum, a lake, swimming pools, wading pools, zip lines, pedal boats, a carrousel and a small train.
Come and visit this gorgeous city and enjoy its unique charm.
- If you missed out on Russia 2018, find out how much money you will need to go to Qatar 2022
- Turkish Airlines plans to launch flights to Mexico in 2019
- Cancún y Riviera Maya, amongst the best 10 destinations in the world
- Live Vacation Interview
- Hoteliers want federal regulation for Airbnb and HomeAway
- Mexico, the 8th most visited country of the world
- San Miguel de Allende is the best city in the world
- Going to Europe? Don´t forget to recover your taxes
- Mexico overtakes Turkey in global tourism poll
- Mexican handicrafts, a trigger for cultural tourism
- Mexico amongst TripAdvisor’s Best Beaches in the World
- Mexico´s tourism industry increasingly depends on US travellers