Mexico overtakes Turkey in global tourism pollBy Elliot Bullman
Last year's 35 million visitors make Mexico the world's eighth most popular destination
Mexico has surpassedTurkey to become the world’s eighth most popular tourist destination, according to the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
Mexico moved up from ninth place in the organization’sWorld Tourism Barometer after it received35 million visitors last year, compared to Turkey’s28.3 million, a number resulting from the country'spolitical and security crises last year negatively impacted itstourist industry while Mexico enjoyed a 9% increasein the number of foreign visitors propelling the country into eighth place.
Last year’s visitor numbers positioned Mexico very close to seventh-place United Kingdom, which received 600,000 more visitors than Mexico. The tourism revenues werealso up last year, rising toUS $19.6 billion, which shifted its ranking from16th to 14th.
The federal government has stated it expects Mexico to enterthe top fivesoon, given that foreign visitor numbers are up 50%since 2012.
Also, the federalTourism Secretariat has mentioned that it has worked toward providing travellers with activities and attractions that encouragethem to extend their stay and, in consequence, generate morerevenue for the industry.It has expressedconfidence that those revenues willovertake remittances from Mexicans working abroad in about three years’ time.
The best performing markets werethe Riviera Maya, Cancún, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit.
- Hoteliers want federal regulation for Airbnb and HomeAway
- Mexico, the 8th most visited country of the world
- San Miguel de Allende is the best city in the world
- Going to Europe? Don´t forget to recover your taxes
- Mexico overtakes Turkey in global tourism poll
- Mexican handicrafts, a trigger for cultural tourism
- Mexico amongst TripAdvisor’s Best Beaches in the World
- Mexico´s tourism industry increasingly depends on US travellers
- Mexico, a global pioneer in medical tourism
- Mexican tourism sector closes year with record numbers
- San Jose del Cabo, the favorite destination for 2017
- UK travelers discover new reasons to visit Mexico time and again