Mexico seen as possible tourism leader of 2015By Dania Vargas Austryjak
Closing the year expecting 32.1 million visitors
In 2014, Mexico was part of the top 10 most visited countries list from the World Tourism Organization, with a record-breaking amount of 29.1 million visitors; and this year it’s heading towards a similar position. So far, it’s even been estimated that the country will close the year with 32.1 million visitors, an increase of 9.4 % compared to 2014 numbers.
According to the National Tourist Business Council of Mexico (CNET) it’s possible that Mexico will be once again on the top 10 of the most visited countries in the world, on the 10th position or even fight off the 9th position with Russia.
This forecast is also supported with the report presented by Francisco Madrid, director of the Tourism Faculty of Anáhuac University; in which it’s stated that the first eight positions on the list will most likely stay the same as in 2014, including countries such as: France, United States, Spain, China, Italy, Turkey, Germany and United Kingdom; as long as nothing unexpected happens.
It is also stated that the results depend on the tourist flow of the last months of the year in order to define the 9th, 10th and 11th positions that will determine the position of Mexico among the competition: Russia and Thailand.
Mexico receives a wide variety of visitors, being the United States the country with most visits registered, taking up 60% of the participation, followed by Canada and the United Kingdom; continuing with Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Peru.
It’s just a matter of time to learn the results on which countries will be on the top, hoping that Mexico will be part of the 10 most visited countries of the world.
- Live Vacation Interview
- Hoteliers want federal regulation for Airbnb and HomeAway
- Mexico, the 8th most visited country of the world
- San Miguel de Allende is the best city in the world
- Going to Europe? Don´t forget to recover your taxes
- Mexico overtakes Turkey in global tourism poll
- Mexican handicrafts, a trigger for cultural tourism
- Mexico amongst TripAdvisor’s Best Beaches in the World
- Mexico´s tourism industry increasingly depends on US travellers
- Mexico, a global pioneer in medical tourism
- Mexican tourism sector closes year with record numbers
- San Jose del Cabo, the favorite destination for 2017