Mexican tourism sector closes year with record numbersBy Valeria Bigurra Peñavera
It is expected that by 2017 this sector will continue to grow
Tourism is considered one of the main engines of the economy in Mexico, and this year, according to Enrique de la Madrid, head of the Secretariat of Tourism (Sectur), the country will close with record numbers.
This year Mexico registered the arrival of more than 35 million international tourists, and revenues for 19 billion dollars, figures that are expected to surpass by 2017.
It is important to note that tourism is a sector that continues to grow year by year, as we remember that in 2013 Mexico was in the 15th place as the most visited country, and by 2015 it was already in 9th place.
Similarly Mexico continues to expand its air connectivity, which means a steady growth for the country, since it is much easier to travel between Mexico and other countries in the world.
The country will also continue to seek to strengthen ties with markets such as Asia, Europe and South America, in tourism, so that people from these nations visit Mexico more often.
Currently, the General Tourism Sector accounts for 8.7% of Mexico's Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which is why it is an area that needs to be further strengthened and expanded.
According to De La Madrid, tourism will continue to grow by 2017, as the exchange rate has a lot to do, since this makes Mexico a more attractive country for foreign tourism.
In addition, it is expected that more Mexicans travel within the national territory, allowing the economy to flow internally, and money remain in the country, and at the same time guiding Mexicans to know all the wonders that Mexico has to offer.
Finally it was announced that campaigns will also be carried out to incite the more than 45 million Mexicans residing in the United States to visit Mexico more.
- Live Vacation Interview
- Hoteliers want federal regulation for Airbnb and HomeAway
- Mexico, the 8th most visited country of the world
- San Miguel de Allende is the best city in the world
- Going to Europe? Don´t forget to recover your taxes
- Mexico overtakes Turkey in global tourism poll
- Mexican handicrafts, a trigger for cultural tourism
- Mexico amongst TripAdvisor’s Best Beaches in the World
- Mexico´s tourism industry increasingly depends on US travellers
- Mexico, a global pioneer in medical tourism
- Mexican tourism sector closes year with record numbers
- San Jose del Cabo, the favorite destination for 2017