Tequila, Jalisco first Smart Magic Town in MexicoBy Dania Vargas Austryjak
Harmony between traditional and modern
Mexico's Ministry of Tourism (SECTUR) has triggered the touristic and economic development of certain towns of in the nation, under the “Pueblos Mágicos” –Magic Towns- program; a designation given to those places with “magical”, destinations that preserve symbolic features, history, legends, transcendental facts, charm and important cultural value.
Original Image: “Tequila, Jalisco” by FlyingCrimsonPig, used under CC BY 2.0 license, via Flickr.
Now this concept is taking steps further, by turning Tequila, Jalisco into the first Smart Magic Town in Mexico, thanks to the incorporation of technology, all in favor of the development of the destination. This shall be carried out fully, thanks to importantinvestments in Big Data, traceability, mobility and connectivity.
Step one, was the establishment of an alliancewith National Geographic Society and Mundo Cuervo, in orderto create a geotouristic platform that gathers and distributes information about the destination, including interactive maps, as well as options for: accomodations, gastronomy, culture, points of interest and adventure.
Original Image: “Tequila, Jalisco @ iPad” by Thomassin Mickaël, used under CC BY 2.0 license, via Flickr.
Within the platform the users can create their own travel route and take the tour that fits best with their preferences through the eight municipalities that make up the Tequila Route. The idea for this tool is that users can also share their experiences with other travelers and that this is taken as leading point for other destinations in Mexico.
To continue the project Tequila Inteligente –Smart Tequila-, the Council for Integral Development of Tequila is following on a prevention plan for 2020, which covers the different areas of a smart city, that are: public safety, health, education, culture and recreation; sustainability, environment, energy and water; economic development, urban planning and building management; social services and transportation.
This project proves that traditional and modern can go hand in hand, by creating a platform that is accessible to everyone, from a computer or a mobile device; the beautiful tradition of a Magic Town can be maintained through technology.
- Live Vacation Interview
- Hoteliers want federal regulation for Airbnb and HomeAway
- Mexico, the 8th most visited country of the world
- San Miguel de Allende is the best city in the world
- Going to Europe? Don´t forget to recover your taxes
- Mexico overtakes Turkey in global tourism poll
- Mexican handicrafts, a trigger for cultural tourism
- Mexico amongst TripAdvisor’s Best Beaches in the World
- Mexico´s tourism industry increasingly depends on US travellers
- Mexico, a global pioneer in medical tourism
- Mexican tourism sector closes year with record numbers
- San Jose del Cabo, the favorite destination for 2017