These are the craziest travel myths in Mexico: debunked!By Daniel Juárez
Pro tip: Not as seen on TV
If you are not from Mexico, chances are you’ve heard enough stories already to have a preconceived -and probably wrong- idea about this country. Is this a paradisiacal travel destination guaranteed to give you and your family a dreamlike vacation? Or a Wild Wild West set up filled with cartels and drug lords? Well surprisingly, some people think it’s the latter.
Here are 3 of the most common misconceptions of this amazing travel location:
“Mexico is very dangerous”
Crime is not rampant on the streets unlike some shows like to portray. Truth is Mexico is a safe as you want it to be, you wouldn’t hang out on the bad side of town late at night on any city would you? Just use basic travel precautions -as you would in any other country- and you should be fine. With that being said, Mexico has some of the best and safest vacation spots in the world like Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Maya, Cancun and Los Cabos to name a few.
“I’ll get food poisoning”
While drinking tap water might not be advisable, Mexican food is one the best things you can experience. Some may not be able to handle spicy food very well but if you’re one of those people, avoid putting salsa on your tacos as they are usually made from very hot chili peppers. As for the overall hygiene, common sense should be a given when browsing through street stands anywhere, if you see a fly-blown stand, keep walking!
“Mexico is just a big desert with lots of cactuses”
Not EVERYONE thinks like this to be honest, but there are a lot of people who doesn’t know that Mexico is rich with natural scenarios, in fact, it basically has ALL natural landscapes: mountains, forests, deserts, jungles, beaches, etc.; besides the lush flora and diverse fauna found in the country, noting its great biodiversity. Give it a chance and you will not regret how big and complete it actually is.
So to sum it all up, there’s a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to Mexico, amazing and beautiful landscapes like the Caribbean beaches, a world class service, delicious food and a whole lot of culture to soak up!
- Mexico amongst TripAdvisor’s Best Beaches in the World
- Mexico´s tourism industry increasingly depends on US travellers
- Mexico, a global pioneer in medical tourism
- Mexican tourism sector closes year with record numbers
- San Jose del Cabo, the favorite destination for 2017
- UK travelers discover new reasons to visit Mexico time and again
- Tulum now has treehouse accommodations
- Moody's forecasts further growth for Mexican tourism in 2017
- Mexico’s first over-water bungalows in Playa Maroma
- Mexico,one of the Top Gay Wedding Destinations in the world
- Puerto Vallarta, first "Gay Travel Approved" destination in Mexico
- Holbox ... the perfect escape